P. S. 11's History
Click on the pictures to enlarge view.
     P.S. 11 was originally known as
Union Free District School No. 10 when
it officially opened for instruction on
October 22, 1894. It was an little old
wooden school house topped with a
bell steeple. The initial enrollment was
246 children, with one administrator and
five teachers. The school's first
graduation was in 1895.  In 1905, two
brick wings were added to both sides of
the wooden structure.  Through
research, it was discovered that even
from its early years, the school was
honored for excellences in education.
When the district school fulfilled all the
requirements of the New York State
Regents in 1897, it was renamed
Woodside High School with grades
ranging from First all the way through
high school.
In December 1906, overcrowding
became an issue. It was decided that
students at the high school level should
attend a different facility, and they were
sent to neighboring Long Island City
High School and Newton High School.  
Seventh and Eighth Grade students
were sent to IS 125.  This freed up
space for the growing number of early
childhood students from Kindergarten
through Sixth Grade, and Woodside
High School was now officially called
Public School 11.
On Saturday, January 20, 1951, the old
wooden schoolhouse burned down
evoking great sadness within the
community. Alumni have sent letters to
P.S. 11 recalling that many of the
students were in tears as they watched
the devastating fire. The children had to
be bussed to surrounding public
schools while the old structure was torn
down and a new three story brick
school was constructed.  This is the
same P.S. 11 building seen today.
{"Woodside Avenue, at the S.W. corner of 56th
Street, showing Public School No. 11. Taken by
Percy Loomis Sperr, 1925. May be reproduced."
Source:
NYPL Digital Gallery}
P. S. 11 as it is today.  Photo taken on the Northwest
corner of Skillman Avenue and 56 Street.
Questions?
Why is P.S. 11 called the
Kathryn M. Phelan School?
Who were P.S. 11's
Principals?
Why was P.S. 11's  
Mini-School called the Dr.
Vivian Kalogeras-
Anemoyanis School?
More Old School Photos!
Construction Plans for
Our New School!
Photos and linked old newspaper clippings were obtained through the following sources:
www.fultonhistory.com; www.SECONDAT.blogspot.com; New York Public Library (NYPL) Digital Gallery
Please visit those websites if you would like to explore other historical venues!